View All Energy Efficiency Programs
You'll use less energy.
By recycling your old
estimates that you can save more than $300
on your energy bill over the next 5 years.
You can earn some cash. We'll help you apply for $25 through the Ameren Missouri Fridge and Freezer Recycling Program.
Our team will come to your home to recycle your appliance at no cost to you.
This is a contact-free appointment so your energy technician will pick-up all appliances from
outside your home (i.e. garage, sun porch, driveway, etc.). Please also print out this
Pick-up Release Form
and attach it to your appliance to ensure pickup.
How it Works
- Please call 1.877.215.5752 with questions or request an appointment online.
- On the day of your appointment, your energy technician will call you at the number you have provided before your scheduled time window with an estimated arrival time. Since this is a contact-free appointment, you do not need to be home for your appointment as long as you complete the following:
Upon arrival, your energy technician will confirm your appliance qualifies for the $25
incentive by testing to see that it works and is the appropriate size (10-30 cubic feet).
You do not need to have it plugged in when it’s moved outside.
- Please move your appliance(s) outside of your home in an area where there is a clear pathway to allow easy access for removal.
- Please be sure to attach the completed Pick-up Release Form to your appliance(s). This form is required.
- In addition to removing your appliance, your energy technician will leave at no cost Energy Efficiency Kit at your front door. In the event we are not able to leave behind a kit at the time of your pick up, please expect one in the mail within 7-14 days following the service date.
- If you have a window air conditioner or dehumidifier you would like
recycled, your energy technician can remove those appliances as well.
Please note, this is a contact-free appointment so your energy technician
will pick-up all appliances from outside your home (ie. garage, sun porch,
driveway, etc.). These appliances must be picked up at the same time as
your fridge/freezer. You will receive $10 for your window air conditioner
and $5 for your dehumidifier.
- After your appointment, your energy technician will take your appliance(s) to the recycling center. You can expect to receive your check by mail within 8 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of refrigerators or freezers are eligible for this program?
We'll recycle all brands of refrigerators and freezers. They must be operating and cleaned out when the energy technician arrives.
Do I need to help load my refrigerator or freezer onto the truck?
No. Your energy technician will take care of all loading responsibilities.
Is there anything I need to do to prepare for my appliance pick-up?
You must print and complete this Pick-up Release Form
and attach it
to your appliance to be eligible for pick-up. Your appliance must
also be placed outside your home (i.e. garage, sun porch, driveway,
etc.). If you are recycling a window air conditioner
or dehumidifier, place them outside your home with the rest of the
appliances for recycling. Remember, this is a contact-free appointment.
All pets must be secured.
Where should I place my appliance to be picked up?
To allow for your energy technician to pick-up your appliance,
please make sure to place it outside your home (i.e. in your driveway,
open garage, car port or sun porch) where the unit will be accessible
for removal. If your energy technician is unable to access your appliance,
for reasons such as being located behind a closed fence or in a yard with
a pet present, we will reschedule your appointment. This is so we can
provide a safe and contact-free pick-up.
How much will I receive for recycling my appliances?
You will receive $25 per qualifying unit with a limit of two units per Ameren Missouri residential electric customer. You will receive $10 for a window air conditioner and $5 for a dehumidifier. You must recycle a fridge or freezer to be eligible to recycle a window air conditioner or dehumidifier.
What should I do if I need to reschedule?
You can call us between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. CST, Monday through
Friday at 1.877.215.5752
to request a new date and time.
How long after my appliance is picked up will I receive my check?
You should receive your check within 8 weeks after your appointment.
Please contact us at 1.877.215.5752
if you don't receive your check after 8 weeks.
Do I need to be an Ameren Missouri customer to receive the check?
Yes. In order to receive the check, you must be an Ameren Missouri
residential electric customer.
What does Ameren Missouri do with picked up appliances?
Approximately 95% of unit materials are diverted from landfills. Units are hauled to a facility for de-manufacturing. The refrigerant and compressor oil are evacuated and recycled, and any PCBs or mercury components are removed, stored and destroyed as hazardous waste. Unit chassis then are shredded and 99% of any ODS/GHG materials in the insulation foam are captured and destroyed. Steel, aluminum, copper, plastic, and foam materials are shredded, pelletized and separated.